Monday, April 6, 2015

M81/82/NGC 3077 under bright skies

Last week I was in another ALBN gap with nothing but large, very dim targets to image, and a nice bright gibbous moon to ruin any chance of actually doing that.

How about a nice bright Galaxy? Too windy, you say? Then use something short like an AT65. Which is what I did:

NGC 3077 (lower left), M81 and 82--you already know them
I don't think that my skills are up to battling the light. This had a terrible sky gradient that had to be removed. Shooting into sky over a city will do that, I suppose. There were also quite a few satellites that crossed the light frames, also. Do I sound like I'm making excuses?

What I learned is that I'd like to go back and image NGC 3077--it has an interesting core. Longer focal length and darker sky!

This next week is forecast to feature clouds every night. Not just clouds but dribbles of snow and rain, too! Doesn't the sky know I have things to image?

Next Time, adding a finder to an SBIG ST-8300M.

No comments:

Post a Comment