Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Comic Relief

Since I purchased a Celestron 9.25" SCT I've been thinking about upgrading from my ToUCam to something a little better. Right now I have my sights on a Point Grey Chameleon. The Chameleon is based on the Sony ICX445 and offers small pixel size, USB 2 compatibility, and a low price. It's frame rate is a little low at 18fps, but that's certainly acceptable. Reviews have been solidly positive.

Yes, there are GigE, firewire, and USB 3 alternatives that could be made to work with my laptop, but those models tend to be higher in price.

But even at $375 (+$20 or so for a 1 1/4" nosepiece), where will the money come from?

One source is an old comic book I have. I'm not a collector, but by coincidence I have one comic that is possibly worth some money--as much as $600, I hope. Not knowing a thing about comics, I have decided to get it professionally graded.

I shipped it to CGC Comics at the end of February. They will grade its condition so that a potential buyer can have confidence in what they are getting, seal it into a container and ship it back.  It's been sitting in their queue since March 1, and today was scheduled for grading. CGC charges for this service on the basis of the comic's estimated worth. If the comic is thought to be worth more than it was submitted as, they will increase the initial grading charge. I submitted it as worth between $300 and $1000. I would love to hear back from them that they plan to charge more!

I should have my estimate within the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment