Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Waiting Game: Dollar Days

No, I don't mean "Dollar Days" as in when a store offers a sale where most items are priced in whole numbers of dollars. It's a measure of anticipation and patience required when you've purchased something that must be delivered at a later date. I thought of this in 1978 when I ordered my first real telescope, an 8" f/6 Meade Newtonian on a GEM. It worked like this: The total cost was about $600, and the wait between placing the order and receiving it was two months (60 days). Multiply the two together, 60x600, and you get 36,000 $days. The larger the amount of dollar days, the greater the "anguish" of waiting you must endure.

I recalled this as I was checking the UPS tracking number on my incoming AT72ED. It has a price tag of $316 (including shipping, insurance, and a nudge for PayPal) and the wait is 5 days. That's a paltry 1,580 $days. Hardly even a mild test compared that old Meade.

Oh, and the telescope is black. I would have settled for any color. At night all telescopes are the same color, and all home-made telescopes look like they were made by a master craftsman.

Although I might have haggled a bit over the price if it had been the pink model from Astro-Tech. Pink would be a conversation started at star parties, which is fine. But I have a feeling that the pink models don't sell quite as well. I base this on the fact that some retailers call them purple.


A pink AT72ED
This doesn't look very purple to me, but pictures can be deceptive.  Have you see one of these in real life, and how does it look to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment